Programs, Specializations and Eligibility
- Can I apply for a Bachelor’s program in Political Science?
CEU is a graduate institution and does not offer Bachelor’s programs. If you complete your BA studies, you will be eligible for the Master's program at CEU and we would be delighted to receive your application.
- Should I apply for the One-year MA program in Political Science or the Two-year MA program in Political Science?
If you have completed four years of undergraduate university you should apply for the one-year MA program. Applicants with a three-year Bachelor's degree will be considered for two-year Master's programs. If you already completed a 3-year BA and another 1-year MA or two 3-year BA degrees (and not two specializations within 3 years of your BA) you should also apply to the one-year MA program. Exception to these rules will be granted only to exceptional cases.
- Do I have to have Political Science background in order to be eligible?
You do not neccessarily have to have political science background. Applicants are eligible coming from various fields.
- I am attending a 4-year BA program but I wish to graduate in three years. Can I apply for the One-year MA program in Political Science?
Yes, but your admission will be conditional on your successful graduation.
- What are the areas of specialization at the Political Science Department?
We offer certificates of specialization, you can find out more about the certificates at the following link: http://politicalscience.ceu.edu/certificates.
- What is the final deadline for submitting an application to the Master’s programs?
- Can I submit a delayed application?
Applicants can submit late applications only in very exceptional cases. CEU does not usually accept late applications, so please contact us via email if you are facing this problem. Even if your late application is not accepted, you will be more than welcome to apply to our programs in the next application season.
Application fee, financial aid packages and funding from external resources
- Do I have to pay the application fee?
The payment of the application fee is mandatory for all applicants and cannot be waived under any circumstances.The fee should be paid by bank card via the CEU online application form's. An application will not be processed until payment has been received and processed. For the details of payment method please check https://www.ceu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/checklist#step-7
Please check that your card is one of those accepted; your balance and limit are properly set, and note that you have to finish the transaction in 5 minutes.
- What kind of financial aid packages are available?
Please check the website: http://www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
- I want to apply for external funding but I need to submit a preliminary acceptance letter. Can I obtain it from CEU?
Yes, CEU can provide support and the documentation for these scholarship applications, provided the applicant prepares a competitive admissions package and submits this in time for the department to be able to review it. Candidates opting for preliminary acceptance are requested to notify the department about their intention in advance and submit their online application form to CEU as soon as possible. External funding may provide additional resources for eligible candidates to cover the expenses of their studies, therefore we encourage you to seek out these opportunities. Please check: https://www.ceu.edu/admissions/funding-fees/finaid-applicants/external-s...
- Is there any opportunity for the students to get part time employment at the university to be able to cover the remaining costs of their studies?
There are only limited part time job opportunities at CEU, and these are very competitive. Usually these are ad-hoc positions, and as such students should not plan to rely on these. We rather recommend seeking out external-to-CEU scholarship opportunities that might be available in your home country. MA students can work only with the permission of the Head of Department and only in case the workload is not in conflict with their academic requirements. The legally determined working hours for students are less than 20 hours per week. You can always inquire at the Career Office (http://alumnicareer.ceu.edu/) regarding open positions.
General CEU admission requirements: Academic records and Recommendation letters
- What kind of academic records shall I submit with my application?
When you submit your academic records, you must upload a scanned version of your original full Bachelor's and Master’s transcript (if applicable), as well as an official English version/translation of your full Bachelor's and Master’s transcript (if applicable) including an explanation of the grading system. An official English translation bears the stamp and signature of a sworn translator or an authorized official of the institution that has issued the original. It should contain the stamp and signature on each page or over a folded and fastened corner of the document, and include a statement of authenticity in English. You also have to provide the originals (not electronic copies) if your application is accepted.
- I am in the final year of a Bachelor's/Master’s program, and I do not have a diploma/final transcript to upload yet. What shall I do?
Applicants in the process of completing a degree program must submit an interim transcript and, in place of the diploma, a certificate of enrollment confirming their student status and, if possible, stating their expected date of graduation. Please note that in order to be able to enroll at CEU, you must graduate before the academic year at CEU begins.
- I have completed my Bachelor's/Master’s studies but I have not received my diploma yet. What shall I do?
Applicants having completed their degree program and having yet to receive their diploma must submit a certificate of graduation issued by their home university.
- Who can write my letters of recommendation?
You must have two confidential letters of recommendation assessing your ability to conduct graduate-level work, and potential for a successful academic or professional career. The letters of recommendation must be written by faculty members or job supervisors – i.e. people most familiar with your academic and/or professional abilities and character – in English. Please note that these recommendation letters should be submitted directly to the online application system. CEU does not accept letters of recommendation whose contents are known by the candidates concerned.
- What are the language requirements at CEU?
Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting standardized English language test scores, e.g., the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other substitute tests. You can find the minimum test scores required for the admission to Master's programs here: https://www.ceu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/checklist#step-5
- I have completed my studies in English, what should I do to obtain a waiver of the English proficiency requirement?
Applicants should submit a certificate from the institution where they completed, or are completing their BA or MA diploma, stating that the program was completed exclusively in English. Please note that if you only studied specific subjects in English you might be required to provide official language scores. For details, please check: http://www.ceu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/checklist (Point 6). Please note that it is at the discretion of the department to accept these certificates.
- I took a TOEFL exam but my score is not sufficient for acceptance. What shall I do?
Applicants can be admitted to CEU only if they meet the language requirements. If you do not have sufficient English results but you only lack a few points, your application might be still accepted – pending permission from the Provost Office. If you do not meet English requirements, your application cannot be considered.
- I am a native English speaker. Do I need to submit English scores?
Applicants whose first language is English are normally exempted from this requirement. You must make this request on the application form.
- I took a language exam but I have not received the official certificate about my scores yet. What shall I submit?
If you have not yet received the hard copy of the certificate about your result, but you are able to check it online, then you can attach a printscreen of your results to your online application form until you receive the official document.
You can also request that a copy of your results are sent to the CEU Admissions Office (CEU’s institution code is 0069).
Departmental related admissions criteria
- What kind of department-related admission criteria are there?
You can find a short summary of the department-related admission criteria on this link. Supplementing the general admission documents, all applicants must submit the following:
· a 100-word statement of purpose describing the reason(s) why you are applying to the program;
· a short (approximately 500 words) exposition of an issue or problem in political science in which you are interested; and
· samples of previous writings and/or a list of scholarly publications and relevant research experience (as applicable). All submitted writing should be in English, no other language will be considered.
- Are there any guidelines regarding the length and content of the writing sample?
You are free to submit any paper, but its length should not exceed 10-15 pages (please do not submit theses). You are also welcome to submit more than one sample but you should not submit more than 30 pages of text (approx. 10,000 words) overall. Please make sure that when you upload documents to the online application system, these attachments do not exceed 2 megabytes.
- Does the word limit specified in the written sections of the submission refer to minimum or maximum number of words?
The number of words specified is a maximum limit, i.e. a target length, allowing for the possibility of 5-10% more or less where the applicant feels it is absolutely necessary. Substantially longer submissions might not be taken into consideration.
- Is there an entrance exam?
Candidates who passed the first (pre-selection) stage of the admissions process to the Political Science MA programs are required to participate in an entrance interview via phone which usually takes up to 30 minutes. This interview includes an oral discussion and a test type questionnaire too. You do not have to study for any of these, our target is to grasp your general knowledge. Selected candidates will be informed about the details of any possible examination on time.