The Department of Political Science is pleased to announce the winners of the Undergraduate Essay Competition. Participation was open to all BA graduates and BA students in the last year of their studies worldwide. Students could choose one of the three topics:
1. Authoritarian and populist challenges to democracy.
2. Overcoming war in Europe – a new era of democratic support?
3. Saving democracy – passive citizens, fake news, and mediatization.
Essays were reviewed and scored by the departmental committee and the following students were awarded:
1. First place prize: Lucia Cagalová (Comenius University Bratislava) It’s The Other Way Around: autocracy is challenged by democracy.
2. Second place prize :
- Maike Elsasser (Central European University) On Emotionalism, Unity, and “Othering”: Acceptance of Illiberalism in Hungary.
- Chisato Maezawa (Budapest Metropolitan University) Authoritarian and Populist Challenges to Democracy.
Thanks to all participants and congratulations to the winners!