Vol. 45, No. 3-4, September-December 2017
Stoycho P. Stoychev
The 2016 Referendum in Bulgaria
• The 2016 referendum was the first successful bottom-up initiative for a national referendum in Bulgaria since 1989.
• It was initiated by Slavi Trofonov, a popular TV showman, broadcasting in the primetime of one of the three national TV stations, bTV.
• Six questions were proposed, but the National Assembly reduced them to only three.
• The turnout did not meet the normatively required threshold for binding force of the result, but the referendum produced politically legitimate result and the legislature was obliged to consider the issue.
• A bill implementing the decisions of the referendum was introduced, but failed.